A GUIDE TO
The Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation™ Treatment
What is the Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation™ Treatment?
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST®), invented and patented by John Chao, D.D.S., is a scalpel-free, suture-free procedure for treating gum recession. Dr John Chao, taught this revolutionary technique to Dr. Robert Korwin. The procedure is available at our Red Bank NJ office. Come in for a quick chat about pinhole surgery: 732-219-8900
How is the Procedure Performed?
This procedure is performed by making a small hole with a needle in the gum tissue. Using specially designed instruments, the gum tissue is loosened and guided over the receded part of the tooth. Since there is no incision or suturing, patients can expect minimal post-operative symptoms (pain, swelling and bleeding). Most patients also are pleasantly surprised by the instant cosmetic improvement.
Top 10 Benefits of the Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation procedure for Periodontal Disease and Gingivitis
- Can correct gum recession in as little as 1 treatment.
- Minimal discomfort and swelling in most cases because the method is scapel-free, suture-free and graft-free
- Long term results per the International Journal of Periodontology & Restorative Dentistry. (October 2012)
- The pinholes heal in 24 hours in most cases.
- Only 2 over-the-counter pain pills required after treatment on average per the study in the Int. Journal of Periodontology Restorative Dentistry. (October 2012)
- Can prevent tooth loss and the need for other costly procedure such as implants or dentures.
- Treatment sessions can be completed in as little as 1-2 hours in many cases.
- Can enhance a more youthful and attractive appearance.
- Patients often describe feeling happier due to being able to smile without shame or guilt associated with unattractive receded gums.
- Most patients are back to normal light activities within 24-48 hours post procedure.
What is gum recession?
Gum recession refers to the loss of gum tissue along the gum line. This can occur as a result of periodontal disease (gingivitis, periodontitis, advanced periodontitis), crooked teeth, clenching or grinding teeth, the natural aging process, or abrasive habits when it comes to brushing the teeth.
Why should gum recession be taken seriously?
When gum recession occurs, the root structure of the tooth becomes exposed. This means that tooth decay and other problems can affect the teeth along the gumline and beneath it. Since healthy gums are essential for a healthy mouth, getting gum recession treated is important for lasting dental health.
What is the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ (PST™)?
The Pinhole Surgical Technique™ is a minimally invasive option for treating gum recession and preventing advancing gum recession. Unlike traditional grafting techniques, PST™ is scalpel incision and suture free.
All of the tools and techniques used to perform the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ were created by Dr. John Chao, who trained Dr. Robert Korwin at the Chao Pinhole Academy in Alhambra, CA.
How does the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ (PST™) differ from traditional gum grafting?
Traditional gum recession treatments involve the use of donor tissue or soft tissue grafts in order to rebuild the gum line. This soft tissue would be sutured in place and would join with existing gum tissue as it healed.
While this traditional grafting treatment is effective, comparable results with better patient experience can be achieved through the Pinhole Surgical Technique™.
How is Pinhole Surgical Technique™ (PST™) performed?
During the Pinhole Surgical Technique™, a needle is used to make a small hole in the patient’s existing gum tissue. Through this pinhole, special instruments are used to gently loosen the gum tissue. These tools help expand and slide the gumline to cover the exposed root structure.
There are no grafts, no sutures, and no scalpel incisions needed with the Pinhole Surgical Technique™. It simply involves the adjustment of the existing tissue.
What are the benefits of Pinhole Surgical Technique™ (PST™)?
The benefits of the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ are many:
• Less discomfort for the patient after treatment
• Faster recovery for the patient than traditional grafting
• No need for uncomfortable sutures
• No need for scalpels or invasive surgical tools
• No need to take donor tissue from the patient’s palate
• Excellent, natural-looking, long-lasting results
About Robert Korwin DMD MAGD MICOI
Dr. Korwin is one of only 8 implant dentists in the world who has qualified for the prestigious dual Mastership Awards from The International College of Oral Implantologists and the Academy of General Dentistry who specializes in All-on-4 treatment
About Advanced Dentistry with a Gentle Touch
Established in 1983, Advanced Dentistry with a Gentle Touch serves patients from the following counties in New Jersey: Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex and the following cities: Red Bank, Middletown, Navesink, Belford, Leonardo, Port Monmouth, Keansbery, Holmdel, Lincroft, Atlantic Highlands, Hazlet, Fair Haven, Keyport, Little Silver, Srewsbury, Rumson, Fort Monmouth, Eatontown, Highlands, Cliffwood